Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Yarn Along

A post of my current read and what is cast on my needles ~ Inspired by Ginny over at {Small Things}

Yarn Along

I'm finished...
Two socks, a complete pair and one very happy little girl *grin*.

The second one went SO much quicker and the kitchener stitch did work out much smoother this time around :) The only thing that I'm wondering if I could have done differently is if there would have been some way to get the colors on the second sock the same. I actually really love the quirky look but the leg portion of the socks are definitely different. Anyone knit with multi colored yarn like this before? Is this just what happens?

A pair of socks

Aww heck, who cares if they are a little different. All that matters is that there is one huge smile on my daughters face as she parades around the house in them *grin*.

I think my next project is going to be a pair of gloves. My oldest son requested some for his birthday so how can I say no. I did let him know that I have never made any before and that I couldn't be held responsible if one ended up with 6 fingers!! LOL.

I'm completely itching to get started with some seeds. I always get the gardening bug at the beginning of the year even though I know it is way to early to actually do anything just yet so to feed my planting need I borrowed a copy of Fresh Food From Small Places by R.J. Ruppenthal. I've just started looking at it but so far I have found a little plan on creating self watering containers and there looks like there might be some interesting info on vertical planting which is such a great space saving idea :)

Can't wait to see what you all are knitting this week!

Hugs,
Rosina

30 comments:

Josée said...

Those sock of so colourful! how fun :)

Elizabeth said...

Oh Rosie, the socks are just fabulous! Definitely happy feet!

Blessings, Elizabeth

Gretchen R said...

I usually like how they're different. There was only one time that I tried to make something like that match and it was an absolute pain and took several tries. The finished object can be seen here: http://hyenacart.com/stores/nerdygerdy/index.php?c=23&p=72044

Anonymous said...

Lovely socks! I'm thinking of making my first pair sometime soon, I bought some self-striping sock yarn today.

Unknown said...

I really like the socks, and I really like that they are different - very cute!

nocton4 said...

loving those socks, great knit x

Jarka said...

I know I said it last week, but I have to say it again - that yarn is awesome!!! beautiful socks :)

Kathryn said...

I love the socks and I love them even more that they are different! The book looks like just something I've been thinking on in my own garden plans, I may need to see if my library has it!

Nadja said...

I've made leg warmers from self-striping yarn before, and to get a match, one has to make note of what length of what color one starts with. Then you may have to waste a little or a lot of yarn to get to the same color and measure off the same length when you cast on for the second.

I love the look of those socks--I am looking at Knit Picks' Chroma with longing right now. My 2011 resolution is to learn to do socks!

Sara said...

I haven't made any self-striping socks since my first pair, but I'm told that each skein is supposed to match. So you should start in the same place on the second skein with your cast-on, and they'll match. Supposedly. If you're off by a little or you throw in an extra row or two somewhere on the sock, they won't be perfect. But nothing I knit is ever that!

MJ said...

Love the socks :) and I like that book! I will have to pick up a copy! We are doing the square foot gardening but haven't started with seeds. Please share how it goes!!

Kaylana said...

Wow! Such vibrant color! I'm so glad that sock #2 went so smoothly!
Yeah for happy, warm feet!

Oh, and the gardening bug has hit me too. To dig or not to dig, that is the question...
Hugs!

Tonya Gunn said...

Wow, those socks are just beautiful - and that book looks like a great read too.

Lise said...

Beautiful socks! I actually really like their mismatched style.

Jess said...

Yay for bright colors in the wintertime!

Bridget said...

Love the socks! I want to try to make a pair soon.

Erin @ Wild Whispers said...

So vibrant! Perfect for the cold winter!

S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen said...

The rainbow socks are done! lol! They're *groovy* in the best sort of way. :)

Sarah said...

The socks are so fun! They really turned out great! =) I want to knit socks ... sometime by the end of the year!!

Rachel said...

Oooh, such pretty wool! I have never tried socks although they have been on my mental list for a while now.
I'm excited to see the gloves! I am terrified of all the fingers - thumbs are bad enough. But how can you turn down such a sweet birthday request?!

Julie said...

♥ the socks! I really like mismatched socks, certaintly add to the charm. ANd they book is just what I need, I'm so glad you shared this.

Sweetness and Light said...

they are GORGEOUS!! I love them and I imagine that big smile, so sweet :)

TwigandToadstool said...

They're gorgeous!!! I really need to learn some new knitting skills!
xo maureen

Tammy said...

I just love the socks! That's just what I'm starting today, socks! What a great motivation to see your's done! I love the colors too! Thanks!

The Changling said...

That is such a great book! Very helpful I found.

I love the socks. Who couldn't use little rainbows to wrap the feet in? I always get so inspired to try socks when I see the pictures on here.

Andréann said...

they aren't that mismatching. And they certainly are beautiful!

Elisa said...

You did such a great job! They look awesome!! The book looks good too.

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

Thank you everyone for all of the loving comments :) I can't wait to try another pair but that may have to wait as I just found a couple new patterns while visiting you all that I just have to try *grin*.

Molly Melnick said...

I love the socks and I hope for the sock courage in the future!
Lisa

Dakota Gal said...

Beautiful socks! I adore those colors! And I must check out that book. My husband and I have talked about doing some hydroponic tomato growing in our basement, and I want to do some container stuff outside this year. We rent, so we can't dig up a nice big garden like I dream of doing someday.